16 present at meeting
I. Sonia’s presentation
– Federal Funding
– Project came from ITP II course work
– Drawn from “Chat about That”
– Mobile App for HIV Risk Reduction among Young Latinas & Black Females
– HTML developed app
– Sonia Demo-ed the app
– want to provide info and geo-linked locations available near the phone user
B. Discussing the design of the study
– IRB → qualitative phase 1 →
-40 interviews, connect with community advisory that matched population of interest and 4 folks who have worked in the field.
– WIll present different scenarios to the young women in a focus group
– Questions about how could this tool be useful to you, the participants will have suggestions for you
– Phase 2 (300 Randomized clinical Trial) →
– Power analysis to determine the N.
– Participants need to have a smartphone and have to have been sexually active within the last year, both groups
– would have basic information and geolocation, and the other group would have an additional push text mechanism. question about whether or not this is enough a difference
C. Part II of the study
– Got provisional IRB approval. Has funding and wanted to help her along
– online vs in-person recruitment
– online consent process?
– Potential of anonymity
– Meeting them in person
– Sharing online
– Greg developed a website describing himself and the project
– getting secure socket layer protections
– being clear about identifying yourself, but keeping the participants anonymous
II. Greg & Kiersten trip to Chicago (Infosocial Conference)
A. Some impressions & some ideas
– Their talk was on Fostering Participatory Research and Pedagogy in Proprietary Environments
-Presented their two dissertations,
– Impact of proprietary environment experiences on youth and teachers
– A lot of looking at Youtube, twitter, and social networking at conference, but not necessarily with a critical eye or questions of social justice
– got conf call from Association of Internet Researchers list
– Could encourage us to think about where we are presenting and thinking about putting something together ourselves
– Evan is DSC Tech and Library person, offered to support the idea of doing conference type work here.
B. Questions about arcihving websites
– Like geocities
– Maybe MLA and other associations need to require a screenshot of sites to include as part of archive.
– We should never assume that things will be there in the future.
C. Institutional Repository
– Academic Spring, having open access information
– publishers are offering opportunity to submit to the publisher and to an open repository
– CUNY students have embargoed their dissertations and not made them publicly accessible.
– institutional wide solutions that are digitial may be the way to go
– Concerns about having diissertations being sold as a text on-line
– A need for doc students being educated about how they post their work
– Example of Diss being sold:
– Another key site, Maggie pointed out:
– Trying to capture who is doing internet research at the GC
– Developing a survey
– Being clear about what we mean with “internet research”
– Understanding how research practices are changing with digital tools
– This will look differently across disciplines
– looking at both our own questions and understanding what we know about the GC/CUNY generally
– Trying to use various channels for promoting
– Is the survey worth the investment in time.
– But the survey might just be focused on a current snapshot and not necessarily publishable data.
– Collete and Steve, and Sonia will get together to kick around some ideas behind the survey.
– Use the provost office with the EOs to get the word out
IV. Panel at CUNY-IT conference
– Present Nov 30th (Fri) 1 pm slot, Jessie will moderate.
– New Media Lab will have a panel on developing digital tools at 9:30am on 11/30
– Institutional repositories also presenting.
Consider registering and attending: http://www.centerdigitaled.com/events/CUNY-IT-Conference-2012.html
V. Greg set up abstracts on commons
– Could also post topics
– How did people learn about the meeting?
– Some people saw the flyer? not really, but we want to think about continuing to reach out.
– Considering becoming DSC student org.
– Stephen is going to ask Polly about presenting next time.